[r-t] The null change

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Wed Dec 31 15:33:57 UTC 2014

On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 6:29 AM, John Harrison <john at jaharrison.me.uk> wrote:
> I was also surprised to see Don contemplating 'allowing' and  'preventing'
> ;-)

Any more surprising than me saying "I don't care one way or the other"
about something?

And in a subsequent message he also wrote:
> Is there any merit in naming Whole pull Cambridge anything other
> than Whole pull Cambridge?

No. But there's no merit in calling an extent of Single Court Minor an
extent of Original, either, but we don't bother to prevent it. There
are a host of ways in which things that are the same are allowed to be
given different names is someone wants to do so for some perverse
reason. It's a pointless, losing battle to try to stop them: the
idiots are smarter than we are.

My point about whole pull stuff was just that we disallow it now, but
would have to swallow it as a possibility if we allow the identity
operation to be a change. Which, just to be clear, I have no problem
with at all.

"He explained--although 'explained' is probably too positive
a word, and in this case really means failed to explain but
at some length."               -- Terry Pratchett, _Sourcery_