[r-t] A Ringing Puzzle

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Thu Jun 5 18:41:38 UTC 2014

Don wrote:

> No, I'm sorry, on further reflection I now believe
> that both Graham and I were mistaken about this.
> Method A can easily be a bona fide, CCCBR
> approved non-method: you just have to ring
> it in a peal of spliced.

Yes. A lead of "A" is not a lead of a method so must be a non-method block
(the negative definition). You could ring it in spliced, but cannot ring a
peal of it on its own, unless you can get a composition with only leadend
calls. The difficulty remains though that if you rang Don's composition of
"A", you could neither say that you had rung a peal of "A Surprise Major",
nor a peal of "A Block Major".

Graham