[r-t] History

Matt Dawson m.d.dawson.29 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 09:56:37 UTC 2014

On 6 June 2014 10:18, Graham John <graham at changeringing.co.uk> wrote:
> We need to start with and refine straightforward definitions like:
>
> Peal:
>
> One or more round blocks comprising at least 5000 changes in total.
>
> True:
>
> A round block is considered true if all its rows are distinct, or if longer
> than one extent, are distinct if the rows from any complete extents are
> excluded.
>
> A peal, quarter peal, touch, or plain course is considered true if it is a
> true round block in its entirety, excluding a cover bell.

Completely agree with this - can't see what would be wrong with a 5100
(or a 5016) of minor.

Consider John Warboys' 5760 all the work 41-spliced surprise minor,
for example; is there scope for shortening the length required to e.g.
5640 or 5520?

The extent (and especially 7! changes of Triples) may very well have
been important in the early days of change ringing - but I bet it's
also been a good few years since the first 5000 of Royal was rung.

matt