[r-t] History

Simon Gay Simon.Gay at glasgow.ac.uk
Fri Jun 6 19:33:12 UTC 2014

To me, ringing an extent is a natural goal. It just so happens that an
extent of Triples takes a reasonable length of time: long enough to feel
like a significant achievement, short enough to ring in an evening.
That's where the idea of a peal as a noteworthy achievement comes from.

It is then natural to ring peals of Doubles or Minor by ringing enough
extents to get to 5040 changes, the same length as a peal of Triples.

Ringing at least 5000 changes for a peal on 8 or more bells is a way of
producing an achievement comparable to a peal of Triples. Settling on a
round number of 5000 is quite a natural tendency, and getting exactly
5040 isn't practical for most methods.

So we have the generalisation of a peal, for 8 or more bells, to be at
least 5000 changes. I don't see that this implies that we should go back
and redefine a peal of Triples to be at least 5000 changes.

Maintain the purity of the definition of peals of Triples. The
definition for higher stages is less pure, but that doesn't mean that we
should abandon purity altogether.

Most of the interesting aspects of ringing come from the constraints
that we impose. Getting a length of at least 5000 changes of Stedman
Triples without singles? Who cares? But to get an extent was a
fascinating challenge because it was a natural mathematical problem.

Simon