[r-t] [r-c] Definition of a peal (was Not A Block)

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Mon Jun 9 12:34:08 UTC 2014

RAS wrote:

> Is the omission of 'true' intentional?  (I don't believe
> you've made truth a requirement of a round block.)

It was intentional, although this definition was a starting point for discussion. If people find out that a peal is false, they still call it a false peal. That means in common usage, we recognise that it was a peal, but false. I therefore used a separate definition for True which can be used in combination. The intention was to to agree simple technical definitions that apply to all ringing not just peals, separate from CC decisions which may contain value judgements.

Taking these definitions, the Council can then apply standards (rules) if it deems that appropriate. It can apply additional criteria to those peals it recognises, such as they have to be true, start and finish in Rounds, have the same ringers throughout, no visual aids etc.

Graham