[r-t] Decisions

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Sun Jun 22 13:45:16 UTC 2014

Robin Woolley writes, somewhat contentiously,

> This current debate was predicated on the lie that the CC tells ringers
> what they may or may not ring. Careful persual of these latest decisions
> show that this is precisely what they wish to achieve.

To me, the central point is, are we, as change-ringers, able to innovate
in method and composition design without constantly bumping into
arbitrary restrictions or classification failures imposed by our ruling
body?

With the current Decisions, no - there are useful methods which look
like methods and form true compositions with other methods, which are
not treated as methods. Also there are methods which have good
extensions through all stages but, under the current rules, are not
considered to extend because the classification is different at
different stages (short course Royal methods).

With Tim's Decisions, yes - any block can be considered as a method and
classified as such. There are no arbitrary classification divisions
which prevent short-course methods being viewed as equivalent to and
extensible from their long course parents.

Finally, I think Tim's set of definitions of terms is useful, but
perhaps it should be viewed as a glossary for the rest of the document,
rather than laying down in absolute terms what given change-ringing
words are said to mean.