[r-t] 5040 Surprise Minor by Roger Bailey

David Hull davidghull at gmail.com
Tue May 13 09:23:19 UTC 2014

I suspect there are lots of assumptions made about compositions and
callings which are simply incorrect and which result in "peals" which
aren't peals at all.

Years ago, I attempted a peal of Surprise Minor being called by a
well-known conductor from the Black Country. I was a bit surprised when his
extent of Cambridge started with 3W. He then proceeded to call 3H and move
on to the next method. I pointed out the error and we stopped (after a
small argument - he had failed to realise that the third Wrong and the
first Home were in the same course and that the calling was therefore five
courses and not six).

But who knows how many times he had called that previously and sent it up
as a peal?

DGH

--
David G Hull
01757 268620 / 01904 325476 / 07884 188965