[r-t] archiving

David Greenaway david.p.greenaway at gmail.com
Mon May 19 23:29:06 UTC 2014

On 19 May 2014 21:52, Richard Smith <richard at ex-parrot.com> wrote:

> Robin Woolley wrote:
>
>  f.w.i.w., what I see when opening the .gz file via 7zip
>>

> If you don't like what 7zip is doing, use a different program.  It's not
> normal for a unzip progam to extract a filename from a gzip file.
>
> RAS

7zip is not an unzip program, but  a file archive program. It has it's own
native archive format, but understands many others.

I suspect here it's being presented with a gziped tar file, or something
similar, and is doing precisely what you would expect it to. Using
something different is not going to help.

DG