[r-t] archives & zipping

John Camp camp at bellringers.org
Tue May 20 13:21:53 UTC 2014

At 12:58 on 20 May 2014, Graham John wrote:

> Sorry to prolong this boring discussion, but if you select "flat view" in
> 7zip you don't need to navigate through the folders.

It may be boring, but it is clearly of importance in trying to meet
the needs of subscribers.  (There has been recent discussion on
change-ringers about whether technical discussion about how to use the
list is "off-topic".)

I do not find a "flat view" option in 7-zip (as such).  However, if
(at least in Windows) you have 7-Zip installed, then download the .gz
file, right-click on it and select 7-Zip / Extract files ....  You
will be presented with options, one of which is "path mode".  Select
"no pathnames".  OK this.  The .txt file will then be available
without more ado.

I think that we are suffering from a common IT problem, which is that
everyone assumes that the way they do things is the way everyone else
does them.

JEC