[r-t] proving a touch

Ian McCulloch ianmcc at physics.uq.edu.au
Wed May 21 12:39:18 UTC 2014

On Wed, 21 May 2014, Graham John wrote:

> Ian wrote:
>
>> I was looking for a composition that I could use
>> in a 6-lead splice of Beverley and Cambridge,
>> and I was wondering if I could use the 1272 as a
>> base.  Actually, if you ring Cambridge whenever
>> the 6th is 3rds place bell, and Beverley otherwise,
>> that is enough to make it true.
>
> You would be fine doing that with the 1296, but might need to be careful
> with the 1272, Ian, as it mixes odd and even natured leads to complete one
> extent (hence the reason it is not true to many methods).

Right, and in this case for Beverley, it misses 4 rows that are xxxx61 (I
think they're all of that form, my notes on it are in my office and I'm at
home now).  These rows can only occur when the 6th is 3ds place bell, and
ringing those leads as cambridge is sufficient to make it true.  It looks
like you can mix and match the other bells as 6-lead splices freely, but I
didn't check all combinations.

Cheers,
Ian