[r-t] A ringing puzzle

King, Peter R peter.king at imperial.ac.uk
Fri May 23 08:58:48 UTC 2014

I presume the objection is that the first is false in the plain course whereas the second isn't (sorry if I spoilt it for anyone trying to work it out). Personally I have no objection to both of them being called methods but I think it would would be sensible to have some sort of flag indicating the falseness in the plain course. Just to stop the unwary ringing an unsuitable composition. This is vaguely similar to the recent discussion about Gangnam, although there the issue was more about the composition not being suitable to all surprise minor methods and it was the composition needing a flag to indicate what class of methods it wasn't suitable for.
Just presenting people with a blue line doesn't help people realise these problems. I remember once being given the blue line for a minor method, if you tried to ring it you found that all the bells were supposed to ring in the same position qt some point in the lead, but the line looked respectable. Treble jump surprise methods have perfectly reasonable blue line from an inside bell's point of view.
I don't have a problem with some flag in a method name which draws attention to these issues or if it is useful in the ringing of the method (like treble bob or surprise or bob). Perhaps that is sufficiently captured by the falseness groups in this particular case.

Peter