[r-t] A Ringing Puzzle

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Sat May 24 23:47:26 UTC 2014

On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 7:14 PM, Richard Smith <richard at ex-parrot.com> wrote:
> Are motions permitted from the floor without notice at
> the CC meeting?  If they are, I strongly encourage people to vote against
> motion (D), the main motion on non-method blocks, to vote for motion (E),
> and to propose striking "true" from (E)A.1(b) as a motion from the floor.

As I recall, motions from the floor are entertained, though I suspect
it might be awkward trying to synchronize such a motion with the vote
on (D). I suspect an easier and better way forward may be, while (D)
is under consideration, to propose amending it to remove all the
current text, and to subsitute "strike the word 'true' from Decision
(D)A.1(b)".

In any case, I add my enthusiastic support to Richard's sensible
proposal. As I understand matters this (approving (E) and striking
"true" from the relevant Decision) will allow the Cambridge peal that
precipated all this to be accepted. And do so by *simplifying*, and
slightly shortening, the Decisions, instead of adding a whole further
layer of complexity to them. This is clearly a superior way forward.

For reasons implicit in Richard's message this is obviously not the
end of what needs to be simplified, but it is two small steps in the
right direction, which will tide things over long enough for the
Methods Committee, if they choose, to engage in the long overdue
radical simplification that will bring the Council to its role,
explicitly endoresed by the Chairman of the Methods Committee in the
RW ten days ago, of describer rather than prescriber.

"This isn't the time for Schopenhauer. This is important."
              -- Marleen Gorris, _Antonia_, tr unknown