[r-t] A Ringing Puzzle

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Sun May 25 09:08:34 UTC 2014

Graham writes,

> I would just call it Horsleydown Surprise Major.

That sounds sensible! And in fact I don't think it is technically too
hard to classify such methods. Every bell is a hunt bell, but if we
prioritise certain kinds of hunts (plain, treble bob etc - as the
current CC Decisions already do) then it should fall out as a Surprise
method.

> Allocating these methods a type provides a useful flag when categorising and
> searching for methods in databases though, so giving these distinctive
> properties a name is helpful. It is also the case for truth in the plain
> course. It is also easy to add a flag on a database for methods that are
> false within a lead, or are false in the plain course.

My argument is at what level this "type" is applied. For me the
existence of the "A" fch group is sufficient. What I do not like is the
fact that (for instance) 3-lead Surprise Royal methods cannot be found here:

http://www.methods.org.uk/method-collections/surprise/surp10.txt,

but instead are buried away at:

http://www.methods.org.uk/method-collections/differential-hunters/difh6.txt

Daft.