[r-t] Reversals of place notation

Nicholas Small smalls at girvian.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Oct 19 23:06:56 UTC 2014

How about using a descriptor such as "Inverted" or "Retrograde" for methods 
for which the place notation is the reverse of that for another method? For 
example, the principle Quasar Maximus could be called Retrograde Orion 
Maximus (Orion Maximus being the first half lead of Orion Surprise Maximus).

Clearly it would be more sensible to call such  methods "Reverse" and use 
"Inverted" for what is currently called "Reverse", but perhaps that would be 
a step too far for most ringers!

Nicholas Small 

More information about the ringing-theory mailing list