[r-t] Survey #3: One-lead courses. Results.

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Wed Oct 15 15:08:27 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 10:27 AM, Tim Barnes <tjbarnes23 at gmail.com> wrote:
> 5. Can't have the null change

It's worth noting that this isn't just an issue for methods, it is
also an issue for calls.

> 6. Can't be a rotation of another method

It's not clear that this is a single valued issue. It may be a
spectrum.

a) Rotating by an odd number of changes may, to some ringers, feel
substantially different than rotating by an even number of changes.
For example, I could imagine someone believing that backwards Original
(that is, with the hunts back and hand, and the crosses hand and back)
is a different method than Original, but still believing Grandsire and
New Grandsire are the same method.

b) It may be that methods with multiple hunts seem more different in
rotations that change their hunt bells, than single hunt methods, or
principles.

It's also not clear to me that we have an unambiguous view of what a
rotation is. From various messages to this list it would appear some
folks may view simply starting at a different point in a lead as a
rotation. There is something different in alternative start to Stedman
than ringing New Grandsire. I think a rotation may have to affect what
we think of as division ends, and where we put calls. I fear there may
be some subtlety in precisely codifying what "rotation" actually
means.

"As a lawyer I can tell you that something that looks very simple
indeed can be incredibly complicated, especially if I'm being paid
by the hour."                -- Terry Pratchett, _I Shall Wear Midnight_