[r-t] Survey #3: One-lead courses. Results.

Andrew Johnson andrew_johnson at uk.ibm.com
Thu Oct 16 09:35:56 UTC 2014

> From: Tim Barnes
> > MF:
> > Seems to be a decisive result.
>
> Yes, and an interesting coincidence that the Monster showed up at the
same
> time, giving an example of the use of a one-lead course method.  While
the
> Monster clearly won't be rung very often, one could see mini-monsters
being
> rung in QPs and peals of Doubles.
>
> We've now eliminated 3 out of the 6 potential restrictions on the
general
> case of an allowable method being any sequence of changes, where that
> sequence generates a plain lead of the method.
>
> The 6 potential restrictions are listed at the bottom. The next one, #4,
is
> the restriction of no more than 4 consecutive blows in the same place.
It
> seems from a recent RW letter that the Methods Committee is already
> considering removing this restriction, following people getting around
it
> by using non-method blocks.  I guess a question is whether this
restriction
> should be removed completely, or replaced with a higher limit.
>
> What do people think?  Does anyone know the history of why the 4 blow
limit
> was originally put in place?  Was it just codifying established practice
at
> the time, or was it perhaps in response to some sort of controversy?

I'm not sure about the 4 blow limit, but I suggest you read 'Lead Ends'
(1918) by C. D. P. Davies which is an argument (against the Legitimate
Methods Committee) in favour of non-Plain Bob lead ends while keeping
other aspects. I have only skimmed through but it explains some of the
thinking of that time.
Plain Bob Triples was disapproved of for a long time because of the 4
blows behind. 4 blows were tolerated for doubles because of the restricted
possibilities otherwise - similarly for minimus without 6 blows.

http://www.methods.org.uk/archive/ccm1905.htm
It was proposed by Mr. J. A. Trollope, and seconded by Mr. H. Dains, “That
Bob Triples and Grandsire Major, not being legitimate methods, are not
worthy of being practised, and that peals in them should not be booked.”

As an amendment it was proposed by Rev. F. J. O. Helmore, and seconded by
Rev. H. J. Elsee, that the words “and that peals” - to the end should be
omitted.

This having been accepted by the original mover and seconder and by the
meeting,

An amendment was then proposed by Rev. H. Law James, and seconded by Rev.
W. W. Covey Crump, that the words “illegitimate methods” be substituted
for the words “Bob Triples and Grandsire Major.” This having been lost

The original motion as amended by Revs. F. J. O. Helmore and H. J. Elsee
was put to the meeting in the names of the original mover and seconder,
and carried unanimously.

It sounds like you all are going to throw out all the 'nice' aspects of
methods, but still call them methods.
I'd think of the rough definition as: a method of generating a round block
of true changes without having to specify every change.
As 'irregular methods' and 'illegitimate methods' already have a history
then perhaps I should call them 'degenerate methods'.

http://www.methods.org.uk/archive/ccm1919.htm
The Rev. H. Law James reported for the Legitimate Methods Committee that
the situation was the same as last year, viz., that the collection of
Plain Major Methods was ready for printing as soon as that course should
be deemed expedient.- It was moved by Mr. E. H. Lewis, seconded by the
Rev. H. Law James, and carried, that the word "Legitimate" be henceforth
omitted in the name of the committee, which will, therefore, be known as
the "Methods Committee" and that in all future documents the words
"regular" and "irregular" be substituted respectively for "legitimate" and
"illegitimate," as hitherto applied to methods.- It was further proposed
by the Rev. H. Law James, and carried, that the selection of Plain Major
Methods contained in the report of the committee be printed as soon as the
hon. treasurer considers it expedient.

Andrew Johnson

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.