[r-t] What IS a rotation of a method?

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Fri Oct 17 16:35:42 UTC 2014

​On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 10:11 PM, Matthew Frye <matthew at frye.org.uk> wrote:
> Would you mind re-stating what exactly you were hoping to discuss/achieve
here please?

​​Coming up soon on Tim's List of Things, I believe, is "Can a rotation
of another method be a method in its own right." It seemed to me that
before we got there we better be sure we all mean exactly the same
thing by "rotation of another method."

And I remain unconvinced that it's as simple as I believe many folks
think, since (a) it is undefined for methods like Dixonoids, and (b)
it gets a little weird with methods like Grandsire where calls seem
more bound up with what the method is than than they do for the usual
single hunt, palindromic surprise methods.

There's also a difference between starting in an unusual place (as is
frequently done with Stedman, as well as snap starts in surprise),
and "really" rotating a method. I
​suspect
, but am
​far from
 certain, that
the difference between these two cases is where you put the calls.
You know, the things that are not even part of the method. :-)

"It's a complicated world, full of misunderstandings. That's
why we have lawyers."        -- David Mamet, _Race_