[r-t] Does a rotation by any other name smell as sweet?

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Sat Oct 18 16:25:27 UTC 2014

Don wrote:

> Here are two, unnamed differential major methods.
> From a practical ringer's perspective are they the same method, or
> different methods?

http://ringing.org/blueline1.png

http://ringing.org/blueline2.png

They look the same to me, just as ringing Cambridge starting from the half
lead with the tenor in the hunt would still be Cambridge.

If we accept that calls are not part of the method (which I agree with),
then it is not the method that is different in New Grandsire, but the calls
that are different. Accepting this means that the existing decisions are
fine in this respect, and New Grandsire is a just a Triples variation in the
same way as any of the Doubles variations, where combinations of methods and
calls have been given distinguishing names.

Graham