[r-t] What people think they have rung

Joe Norton strainsteamford0123456789+ringingtheory at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 18:40:24 UTC 2014

On 20/10/2014 19:06, Chris02 wrote:
> If two ringers learn a method in different ways and
> then ring it together in a peal, can they claim that they rang different
> methods?
> If I rang a peal and used each technique in turn for the extents, could I claim to have rung
> three methods?

Surely not. I know what you mean but ultimately the objective metric of
what was rung is the actual rows that were produced by the bells. If
someone was listening outside a tower and said "Ah, a course of
Cambridge", it would still be Cambridge no matter what the individual
were doing between their brains and their hands. One person could have
learned the line, one the place notation etc. One person may even have
never rung a bell before and just happened to pull the bell in the right
way by pure chance to produce the correct rows. I know the latter is
unbelievably improbable but the point is that the bells would be in the
right order at the right time and so would still produce a valid course
of Cambridge.

Although, the thought springs to mind... For example, one may be
standing outside apparently listening to a touch of Plain Bob Minor but
actually listening to Original with appropriately placed 12, 14 and 1234
calls. So I suppose what is "understood to be rung by the band" depends
on what the conductor said it was when he or she called it. So I would
say that the name the conductor called it and the rows produced would
uniquely define it as "the same thing", even if the same rows could be
correctly defined as some configuration of some other method.