[r-t] Does a rotation by any other name smell as sweet?

Iain Anderson iain at 13to8.co.uk
Tue Oct 21 12:26:37 UTC 2014

Graham John wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>
>> I'd echo some previous posts and say let's keep
>> the existing rotation ban...
> Careful. It is not banning rotations. It is just saying that we don't need
> different names for rotations of a method.

So if they are not banned, are they allowed?
I think we all agree that they are not needed, but then neither are
singles in Stedman Triples.  Sometimes things that we don't need can
still be useful.
Surely the main reason for insisting on a canonical name for all
variations is that we are confident that no one will ever come up with
an example where allowing alternative names is more useful and/or desirable.

Iain Anderson