[r-t] Survey #4: Naming of rotations. Results.

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Sun Oct 26 14:16:28 UTC 2014

On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 9:57 AM, Tim Barnes <tjbarnes23 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Grandsire's method title is
> just (e.g.) Grandsire Triples and not Grandsire Bob Triples, even though
> the latter would be the consistent title.

No, for consistency within the current rules it would have to be
called Plain Bob Triples. It's a special case in at least two ways.

On on the flip side, if you go back to the eighteenth century
Grandsire Bob Triples was what we, today, call Plain Bob Triples. (If
I'm mistaken about this, I trust one of the folks on this list better
informed about the history of ringing will correct me.)

"The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to
choose from."      -- Andrew S Tannenbaum, _Computer Networks_