[r-t] Method extension

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Thu Apr 30 22:50:48 UTC 2015

PABS wrote:

> That could be accommodated by allowing a line to have length zero. But I
don't think it
> is desirable - you could then add a totally unrelated piece of work, e.g.
a wrong place
> section to a right place method.

Wouldn't this only be allowing one earlier stage to a series that already
satisfies your criteria i.e. a contraction of places to zero where the
higher stages successively add them?

>> Superlative No.2 Surprise Fourteen?
>> -3T-14-7B-38-149B-30ET-34ET-345T-16EB-7T-18-EB-3T-AB,12

> I can't make it work - there is no counterpart in the Royal to the T when
the treble is in 7-8

I assumed that would be the case, however I think it is a good example of
what would be named as an extension if, as PJE wants, there are no
guidelines at all. I do think some rationale for what is generally
considered to be an extension, and what isn't, is worth having - whether a
firm rule or just a guideline.

Graham