[r-t] 1-part tenors together atw compositions of 23-splicedmajor

Philip Earis pje24 at cantab.net
Thu Dec 3 04:14:45 UTC 2015

"Oh dear, this has rather let the cat out of the bag"

Many apologies for inadvertently outing you here, MBD.  Having seen the link
(an open website) and also the "(C) MBD 2014" at the bottom of the page I'd
assumed that this was both public and not brand new. Indeed, given I'm a bit
out of the loop I thought it was conceivable the composition might have been
discussed before (see my original comments).  Oops. I don't think you need
have any concerns that a band will spontaneously get together and ring a
surprise first peal of this in the coming days, though :-)

On the more general point, I must admit I'm a bit puzzled by the attitude to
keep compositions secret until they've been pealed. Timely publishing is
beneficial to a field - this is certainly the case in science, where
publishing is very well established, and I feel applies equally to ringing.

Publishing something establishes priority, for sure. It also makes it less
likely that new method names, compositions etc will be duplicated / pinched
(inadvertently or otherwise), and provides an opportunity for redress if
this happens. Moreover publishing can inspire interest in both the specific
composition and more general area.  And my making development thoughts etc
known earlier in the stage, it can help overcome hurdles and suggest ways
forwards (eg here where MBD was unaware of Colin Wyld's work from 35 years
ago), analogous to open peer review.

"In correspondence with Graham John (who has also done much pioneering work
in this area) I have determined that there are other types of ATW set which
might, in theory, be linked into a peal. Some of these may allow callings
which do not require whole courses, and this would open up the possibility
of mixed 2nds and 8ths place methods. I have not yet summoned the energy to
pursue this avenue very far"

It would be great to see where this leads. Please keep the list informed.

"Don is correct that the existing composition is "every lead different". In
fact this was one of the pruning criteria I used, allowing me to reject
search branches without that property. One astonishing thing about the
method-population part of the project was that I started off despairing that
there were any methods at all that would fit the composition, and ended up
with the understanding that the best way to find solutions was to make
almost unrealistic quality demands for the method properties. Such is the
power of pruning..."

Indeed.  Did you do any pruning to try to flush out (relatively common) run
methods? Or was the design intention to have essentially all new methods? At
a very quick scan through the place notations it looks like Ungoliant is
Ashtead over the treble, but other than that there don't seem to be big
chunks of familiar motifs...did you try restricting the search-space by
looking for eg Bristol over methods, Cambridge over methods, double methods
etc?