[r-t] MUG minor

Matthew Frye matthew at frye.org.uk
Sun Dec 6 17:47:48 UTC 2015

> On 6 Dec 2015, at 11:31, Alexander Holroyd <holroyd at math.ubc.ca> wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Dec 2015, Philip Earis wrote:
>> To recap, MUG is a neat method with 8 changes per division (http://ringing.org/main/pages/method?title=MUG+Minor)
>>
>> The challenge is to produce an extent (720 changes, ie 90 divisions) with just one type of call, only at the division end.
>>
>> (I'm assuming nobody still has proved this isn't possible)
>

> Actually, I'm pretty certain I checked that and found it impossible, possibly even with any 2 division-end calls.

Can you remember if you reached that conclusion from an exhaustive search, or from theoretical arguments? I would have thought that the space would be prohibitively large for the former? If the latter, I think it would be particularly important to share them due to the similarities between MUG minor and Erin Triples.

In either case, I agree with PJE that it is important to make negative results available. Even if interest is limited, I would have thought that a message to this list would be appropriate.

MF