[r-t] Out of course treble-dodging minor

John Danaher jsd at alum.mit.edu
Tue Dec 29 04:08:07 UTC 2015

For the 147 methods the number's a bit larger. There end up being 1133
maximal sets that admit an extent.

Out of the 11 methods {Bg Bh Bp Bw Cc Cf Cn Dn Le Mp Pm}, any 5 form a
maximal set, so that's 462 right there. That set of methods also shows up
frequently in combination with others. For example, another 260 sets take 4
of those 11 methods then add 1 of {C2 C3} and 1 of {Rc C1}, and another 162
sets take 3 of those 11 methods and add one of {Bo Cz Li Qu Tr}.

The full list is too long for an email, so I posted it to
http://methodatlas.com/maximal-sets-147.txt . Extents achievable with only
bobs are marked with a *, and the few that have only a single work above
the treble are marked with a #.

(All of the maximal same-above sets are also achievable with only bobs, but
that's not the case for all sub-maximal sets: {Es Ox} and {Cf Es Ox} share
work above the treble but can only achieve an extent with the aid of
singles.)

 - John