[r-t] Definitions so far

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Fri Jan 16 00:08:30 UTC 2015

I think these definitions encompass much more than the existing ones, so are definitely heading in the right direction. There are few things I think would improve them, with reasons in brackets.

Stage: a name given to the number of bells ringing changes. [makes it clearer that a cover bell is not included]

Row: A sequence of bells at a given Stage in which each bell rings once and only once. [based on Stage for the same reason above]

Place: A position of an individual bell within a Row.

Change: A transposition of bells from their Places in one Row into the next Row. [doesn’t need Stage as Row above uses Stage in its definition]

*         Simple Change: A transposition where one or more adjacent pairs of bells swap Place.  [shorter and excludes Null Change so that the subtypes don’t overlap]

*         Null Change: A transposition where no bell moves Place. [simpler definition]

*         Jump Change: A transposition where one or more bells moves to a non-adjacent Place. [defined by what it is, rather than what it isn’t]

Method: A process for generating a sequence of Changes at a given Stage.

Static Method: A Method that can be defined by a fixed sequence of Changes.

We concluded before that a Static Method is just a subset of a rules based Method. Therefore I do think it is necessary or helpful at this point to define Dynamic Method as a subtype. Then Dixons is just a Method, but Cambridge is also a Static Method.

Graham