[r-t] Definitions so far

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Fri Jan 16 15:42:23 UTC 2015

Graham John wrote:

> Change: A transposition of bells from their Places in one
> Row into the next Row.
>
> * Simple Change: A transposition where one or more
> adjacent pairs of bells swap Place.
>
> * Jump Change: A transposition where one or more bells
> moves to a non-adjacent Place.

The first change of Mersey Ferry jumps from 123456 to
231465.  A literal interpretation of these definitions
suggest it is both a jump change and an ordinary change.  A
pair of bells (5,6) swap place, therefore it is a simple
change; and a bell (1) moves to a non-adjacent place,
therefore it is also a jump change.  I rather suspect this
isn't what you intended.

> Row: A sequence of bells at a given Stage in which each
> bell rings once and only once.

This excludes a cylindrical row.  E.g. the row after rounds
in cyldrical hunting on five is 21432.  Do we care about
this?  My view is that we don't much, but it might be worth
making a token nod to it.  We could define a row as just a
sequence of bells, and an ordinary or simple row as one in
which each bell rings once and only once.

RAS