[r-t] Method ringing vs. change ringing

Alexander Holroyd holroyd at math.ubc.ca
Fri Jan 23 00:33:07 UTC 2015

I didn't really want to get drawn into this debate at all, but now that I
have apparently failed in this...

There is a fundamental issue that is hardly being discussed.

I think by far the biggest problem with the current decisions (perhaps
even the root of all the problems) is the requirement formerly
encapsulated in a decision that said something like:

(*) A peal must be rung in a recognized method or methods.

and which has now been replaced by:

11. The methods used in all peals shall conform to the Definitions and
Requirements given in Part A of the Decisions on Methods.

13. The non-method blocks used in all peals shall conform to the
Definitions and Requirements given in Part A of the Decision on Non-method
Blocks.

14. The calls used in all peals shall conform to the Definitions and
Requirements given in Part A of the Decision on Calls.

Why not simply do away with this idea, and start again without this
cumbersome burden to clear thinking?  One could initially do this without
making significant changes to what is allowed, except perhaps for removing
some of the most convoluted and illogical restrictions.  Then further
liberalizations could be discussed on their merits without uprooting the
whole structure (again).

What I invisage ending up with could be divided into 3 sections, something
like the following:

1. PEALS

Very simple definition involving the notions of changes, length, truth,
WITH NO MENTION OF METHODS OR CALLS.  Really the only thing that seems at
all tricky here is the definition of truth in cases such as variable stage
(and that particular byway doesn't seem like a priority area to get
precisely correct).

This section could include a disclaimer along the lines of:
"The requirements of this section relate solely to the changes rung,
regardless of the manner in which they are descibed".

2. METHODS

Disclaimers such as:
"Methods and calls provide a means of describing
certain change ringing performances, and have no bearing on whether such a
performance is considered to be a peal.  (The latter issue is covered by
section 1)."
and
"It is recognized that the same performance may admit multiple
descriptions.  It is the responsibility and prerogative of a band to
choose an appropriate description."

Stuff about leads, courses, hunt bells, etc.
NO MENTION OF NAMING A METHOD

3. NAMING OF METHODS

Stuff about when a band can officially name a method (how much do you have
to ring, etc?)

Disclaimer such as:
"The requirements of this section pertain solely to assignment of names
to methods, and carry no implications about whether a change ringing
performance is a peal, nor about the appropriateness of a method or
methods in the description of a performance.  (The latter issues are
considered in sections 1 and 2)."

cheers, Ander