[r-t] Method ringing vs. change ringing

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Sun Jan 25 10:45:42 UTC 2015

Tim writes,

> But I'd
> prefer this delinking to be the exception rather than the rule, to be used
> when there's no alternative.

I'm certain it would be. There's no way that, whatever we come up with,
the vast majority of peal ringers are going to stop submitting peal
reports made up of ordinary methods.

The one source of controversy might be if the new definition of peal is
drafted so that it could include long touches of call changes. (Whether
it would do so might depend on what flavour of "truth" is adopted, and
also whether the null change is deemed to be a change).

I don't have strong feelings either way on whether a call-change peal is
a peal, however it would certainly upset the status quo to suggest that
one could be, and may generate significant opposition. Perhaps we should
consider this first.