[r-t] Doubles 240s

Dale Winter moikney at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 14:30:49 UTC 2015

> The trouble with mathematicians is that they don't understand normal
> language.  A purported marriage which is declared null and void is
> not, and has never been, a marriage.  A "null change" is a purported
> change which is not a change; a "null peal" is a pretend peal.

As I see it one of the early lessons of mathematics is that imprecision in language, or lack of agreement over it, will lead to serious problems. Specifically It leads to arguments not over the substance of a given question, but other the words used to describe it. A case can be made that this list provides excellent examples of those dangers.

For my part I’d much prefer to regard the null change as a change, maybe yes because of my own background. But in the end the relevant question surely is not what we call the thing but rather whether it’s “allowed’ in change ringing or “allowed” in a peal.

dale