[r-t] Blue line (/grid) generators / Jump Changes

King, Peter R peter.king at imperial.ac.uk
Sat Mar 21 22:00:52 UTC 2015

Does someone already have a syntax for jump notation. Does it have to cope with jumps of more than one place, or are paired place notations adequate e.g. enclosed in parentheses?

One notation (certainly that used by mathematica) is simply to write the permutation. So permuting the change {a,b,c,d,e,f} with {1,5,2,6,3,4} produces {a,e,b,f,c,d}. there are probably more concise notations if only one jump is allowed.

On Philip's original isn't it true that any methods with places made adjacent to the treble's dodge can be turned into jump methods without any other bell needing to jump (or for plain methods any method with court places). Also on the issue of nomenclature I have always called those methods where only the treble jumps as XYZ treble jump (like London Treble Jump - of which I rang a quarter mixed with Shipway's minor some 40 years ago). If jump methods were ever to be considered respectable it would make sense to have a consistent naming convention