[r-t] Blue line (/grid) generators / Jump Changes

Alexander Holroyd holroyd at math.ubc.ca
Mon Mar 23 10:46:59 UTC 2015

On Sat, 21 Mar 2015, Don Morrison wrote:

> So, what *would* a blueline (or grid-like thingie) look like for
> methods with jump changes?

Like this?
http://www.math.ubc.ca/~holroyd/js.pdf
http://www.math.ubc.ca/~holroyd/js5.pdf

On notation, since jump methods tend to have relatively few and small
jumps, I like using (xy) for a jump from place x to place y (where
|x-y|>=2), and as usual z for zths place made, so e.g.

(13)4 denotes
23146587

(13)(31)8 or (13)(31) denotes
32154768

(13)(42) denotes
24136587

I think it's true (but perhaps not completely obvious) that there is
always at most one way to fill in the remainder of such a change with
non-jumping bells.

Ander