[r-t] Doubles 240s

Alexander Holroyd holroyd at math.ubc.ca
Thu Mar 26 10:41:41 UTC 2015

OK, I have a suggestion.  Those who are concerned about this deep and
troublesome issue can use the following two terms from now on:

1. "Identity change in a type of performance in which rows are
traditionally repeated a number of times that is not necessarily specified
in advance"

2. "Identity change in a type of performance in which the entire sequence
of rows (including any repeated rows) is typically specified in advance
(notwithstanding the possibility that a conductor may choose to vary the
calling on the fly)"

That way such people can be certain that repeated rows will never again be
the cause of them getting confused between the two settings.

In cases where it is clear from context which type of performance in being
discussed (which would be almost always, I suspect), users of the terms
should be free to abbreviate either to the shorter form "Identity change".