[r-t] Re-writing history

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Thu Mar 26 11:52:18 UTC 2015

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 6:26 AM, Alexander Holroyd <holroyd at math.ubc.ca> wrote:
> The potential upside is that it is so obviously absurd that it might provide
> the final impetus needed to scrap the current approach and replace it with
> something sensible.  At least, that's what I hoped for, although it seems to
> be looking less and less likely.

Adding to the absurdity, in the past twelve years alone there have
been at least ten quarters of the method (that's not counting how more
may have been rung simply containing one or more double-extents of it)
rung under the name Oxford Treble Bob. And a peal of the method, as
Oxford Treble Bob, was apparently rung in 1987, though chucked out by
the Council after the band refused to pretend they'd rung Original
instead. From the footnote on the 2014 peal, it appears the 1987 one
may have been rung by the same band, which at least seems some kind of
pseudo-justice.

"The story is the realest part of the storyteller. Who cares about the
color of Coleridge's socks?"
        -- James Tiptree Jr, letter to to Jeffrey Smith