[r-t] Involutions (was Self-inverse changes)

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Tue May 19 15:13:43 UTC 2015

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 3:50 AM Alexander Holroyd <holroyd at math.ubc.ca>
wrote:
> the "p[i]!=i and" part is not necessary.

Duh, of course, thank you!

> the benefits of transparent and straightforward code are likely to
> outweight those of a (possible) (N-1)/N speed-up.

Sigh. You are, of course, correct. My only, feeble excuse for even
having considered it is that I used to work on compiler back ends, and
it has permanently warped my mind and sense of proportion. I do try to
fight against it, though obviously with less success than I'd like.

"The only obligation to which in advance we may hold a novel,
without incurring the accusation of being arbitrary, is that it
be interesting."      -- Henry James, _Partial Portraits_