[r-t] 23 spliced major

Robert Lee rlee5040 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 3 11:30:53 UTC 2015

On Mon Nov 2 14:40, PJE wrote:

>Having methods which are all very different isn't strongly correlated with

>difficulty, though, at least for me (I realise difficulty can be a very

>subjective concept with ringing). Indeed, having many methods which share

>features can really add to the confusion - this is certainly a factor in the

>mind-smashing 23-spliced Treble Bob major composition by Peter King

>(http://bb.ringingworld.co.uk/view.php?id=386215).  I found this vastly

>harder and longer to learn than Leary's. David Hull's "unrung" 23-spliced

>(still sadly unrung) has some of these features too.

I didn't find Don's composition too much harder than Leary's. I agree that difficulty
is definitely subjective - as a disciple of place notation I find the likes of

Brightwell, Shepperton and Eire very difficult to ring due to the multitude of

additional places to learn, which crop up where you least expect them to.

For me the hardest 23 spliced, which appears to be unrung, would be PABS' 'breweries'

composition (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/saddleton/comps/ss8.htm) - certainly an

unorthodox use of the phrase 'triple changes throughout'.

Rob