[r-t] Composition search?

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Tue Nov 24 11:53:32 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 5:21 AM Fred Bone <Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com> wrote:
> > 10^18 seconds, or over 10^13 years.
>
> What planet are you on, Don?

Oops. I don't think this would be right even on Mercury*, being a several
orders of magnitude error. Sorry!

After dividing by a further thousand to account for some unrealistically
successful speed up from parallelizing things, we're still left with
something like 30 million years, far longer than humankind has existed. I
wonder if I've made some further errors that will bring that down to
something realistic?

While it seems unlikely, if Moore's law were to continue to hold long
enough, and ways were found to make speed track density, even that 30
million years number would come down to a tractable single year in the
lifetimes of the younger ringers of today.

* Yea, I know, Mercury is a bad choice in other ways, too.

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a
new wearer of clothes."         -- Henry David Thoreau, _Walden_