[r-t] Composition search?

Alex Dicks alex at dixie.me.uk
Wed Nov 25 00:49:20 UTC 2015

How much speed up do you get with that level of SMT? I've never been
convinced that Intel's hyperthreading makes that much difference, and have
benchmarked C compilation on a 10-core/20-thread build server and found a
plateau at "make -j10". I think it helps a bit if you miss cache often, or
tend to use machine different instructions across threads/processes. But
maybe SPARC has more SMT benefits.