[r-t] Bobs only Erin Triples (was: Composition search)

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Wed Nov 25 12:20:27 UTC 2015

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 6:26 AM Alan Burlison <alan.burlison at gmail.com>
wrote:
> I was wondering if there was any benefit in doing a breadth-first search
> rather than depth-first and using the intermediate results to more
> aggressively prune the search tree but I'm not sure if that will help or
> not. Thanks for all the food for thought!

Leaving aside for a moment the massive savings you get from pruning false
branches as you go, going at it breadth first you'd be storing something
like 2^839 intermediate results. That's a little over 10^252. The universe
is only 10^185 Planck volumes big.

Will aggressive pruning as you go make this tractable? I don't know, but I
doubt it.

On the other hand, I'm confident there are clever ways to do things other
than the most brute force depth first search. What they are, I don't know.

BTW, for other compositional problems I often use a partial breadth first
search. I go breadth first backwards from the final state, limiting the
depth of that search so I can have a reasonable number of candidates. For
surprise major this is usually about a quarter peal's length. Then my
forward, depth first search only needs to go to a shallower depth, aiming
to join up with one of these appropriate final states. My experience with
such problems, though, leads me to suspect such a scheme will not be any
help for an extent of Erin. It tends to be most helpful if there are
properties besides truth that I desire, properties that are more likely to
clump locally, typically musical properties. A large part of the reason, I
believe, is that doing this backwards breadth first caching of possible
final paths adds a lot more nodes to the graph being searched, each of
which then must be accounted for when keeping track of the inter-node
falseness. You only win when that extra cost is less than the savings you
get by early pruning.

"The improvements of ages have had but little influence
on the essential laws of man's existence."
          -- Henry David Thoreau, _Walden_