[r-t] Bobs only Erin Triples (was: Composition search)

Alexander Holroyd holroyd at math.ubc.ca
Sat Nov 28 21:20:48 UTC 2015

I assume that the percentage represented here is the percentage of plains
and bobs of a given length that are true, correct?

If so, it would be very interesting to see it extended much further,
preferably with a log scale on the vertical axis.  E.g. how long does the
touch have to be for the truth probability to drop to 1%? 0.1%? 0.01%?

These questions are very relevant to possible new approaches to the
bobs-only search.

It should not be necessary to do an exhaustive search for this.  One could
use Monte Carlo sampling.  In the first instance, just sample a large
number of random touches and see how many are true.  This will cease to
work when the probabilities become too small, because you won't find any
true ones.  For this, some kind of importance sampling ought to work...