[r-t] Spark [was Writing method display software]

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Mon Nov 30 23:43:17 UTC 2015

Ian Partridge writes,

> At the moment there's a lot of buzz in industry around using Apache
> Spark to improve scalability of big data workloads. Spark is itself
> built in Scala.
>
> I doubt if anyone has used it yet for ringing problems, as it is aimed
> at cluster computing, but it's worth investigating.

I looked at Spark fairly seriously about a year ago; the problem I was
working on then needed some serious parallel grunt. I was thinking about
hiring some Amazon servers to run it on (we use AWS quite a lot at
work). However in the end, by the time I got an algorithm that worked
well enough to be worth spending the money on, I was getting decent
enough results on my little PC at home. Next time!

(BTW I hope to reveal the results of this project on the list at some
point in the new year. Pending a peal being rung.)