[r-t] A date to pencil into your calendar

Alexander Holroyd holroyd at math.ubc.ca
Mon Sep 7 22:31:31 UTC 2015

Yet again the debate seems to have got sucked into the rabbit hole of
trying to legislate about how people should describe perfomances.

A method rung in whole pulls is just a sequence of rows like any other. It
happens to have the special property that every other change is the
identity change.  I think any band should be free to ring such a thing,
and to describe it in the way they feel most appropriate.  (Most would
probably agree that "method X rung in whole pulls" is appropriate).

Everyone seems OK with the idea that compositions of standard methods
should be described in whatever way the band sees fit.  Why not extend the
same idea all the way down to the level of rows?

Every time I or others suggest something like this, almost everyone seems
to agree in principle (with some notable hold-outs, which is fine, of
course).  But then we never seem to learn anything from it...