[r-t] Descriptions (was: A date to pencil ...)

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Tue Sep 8 23:27:14 UTC 2015

Ander wrote:

And yet it would appear that you managed to do just that in the above
paragraph above.  What is wrong with that description exactly as it stands?

It is a description, not a codification. If you are arguing for no
codification system, we would not have stage names, method types and
classes, method extensions, place notation, method names, composition
layouts that conductors can understand, or proving programs, as all of that
was created by our predecessors codifying what was rung. All we are trying
to do now is expand that codification system to be able to describe much
more in a consistent framework. Asking people to define what they rang in
terms of methods and calls to codify what was rung is hardly an imposition,
is it? I am just arguing that ringing more than one method in one row is an
unnecessary complication in the codification scheme, because we would
otherwise require a way of defining the start and end of each method rung
in two dimensions (both between rows and within rows).

Graham