[r-t] Stensham Peal

Robin Woolley robin at robinw.org.uk
Thu Apr 7 07:59:43 UTC 2016

Hi All,

In August 1978, I rang in a peal of Cambridge S Minor using RDB's
well-known round block. In the band was a member of the Strensham peal
and no objection was ever made to this peal. (Hoar Cross in 3.5 hours).

This is the interesting part! Five weeks earlier, I was waiting to start
a peal at Lockington when I overheard a conversation involving the
conductor of the Strensham peal. As I recall, he described his comp. as
being nested in that you start one comp. and after one part, another
comp. is started until the seventh extent is rung in its entirety, the
sixth is completed and so on until the first comp. is completed.

This is not necessarily a problem but I think the objection to the peal
was that there were sections of more than five leads without a call. As
an example, II4 followed by WHW. I do not know what the Decisions then
said, but the Peal Analysis Ctte included it in their table.

Does anyone know when RDB's comp. was first rung?

Best wishes
Robin