[r-t] Jump change methods

Glenn Taylor gaataylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Apr 3 09:29:34 UTC 2016

--- Don

Finally, are there any other jump change methods that have been rung and named (obviously not to the CCCBR's satisfaction, but to some less formal standard)? I know there are algorithms for converting existing, "normal" methods to treble jump methods a la Cambridge Jump, but I'm after things that have really been rung, preferably to some kind of extended touch.

---

Members of the University of Bristol Society rang a non-compliant peal of seven jump methods as long ago as 1979:

Monday, 17th November, 1979

St. John on the Wall, Bristol         2h 45m

5040 Treble Jump Minor (7m)

(1 extent each of Durham TJ, Beverley TJ, Surfleet TJ, London TJ, Wells TJ, Norwich TJ, Cambridge TJ)

1.       Glenn A A Taylor

2.       Timothy C Jackson

3.       Allison K Reed

4.       Peter G Williamson

5.       Stephen P Noyes

6.       Kevin I Lucas (Cond)

The methods were each derived from their parent methods in exactly the same way as Cambridge TJ is derived from Cambridge S. In essence the treble dodges 1-2 up, 3-4 down, 5-6 up and the bell with which it would dodge 3-4 in the parent method adjusts its blue line to fit around it. If the parent method has places either side of the treble passing through 3-4 then there will be no discontinuities in the working bells’ blue line – this is why Double Oxford “works” in this respect. I have a recollection that we did ring Double Oxford Jump a few times, but only in short touches.

Glenn