[r-t] Out of course treble-dodging minor

John Danaher jsd at alum.mit.edu
Sun Feb 21 03:11:59 UTC 2016

I've made some more progress on this, and I now believe that all 147
methods can be achieved in 20 round extents but no fewer.

For methods with 2nd and 6th place variants, I require a plain lead of
either method in order to count it as having appeared in an extent. (So an
extent with e.g. only bobbed leads of Cambridge/Primrose would be allowed,
but wouldn't contribute either Cambridge or Primrose to the total count.)

With that constraint the minimum number of extents increases to 19. But
every such combination of 19 extents depends on some extent containing all
of Bg Bo Cj Ey Fg Hu Nl. Unfortunately no such extent has room for plain
leads of Fg and its three lead-splicers (Ba Cs Sk). There's also no way to
fit an extra lead of Fg elsewhere in the composition, so 19 extents can't
cover all of the lead-splicers.

But as it turns out, covering all of the lead-splicers requires only one
more extent, bringing the total to 20. One example is below. Very little
judgment went into selecting it; it's just the first one that came up, so
there are undoubtedly many ways to improve on the choice of extents.

Calls:
- 14
$ 1234
# 1456