[r-t] Delta-based transposition representation

Chris02 chris02 at shropshirelad.plus.com
Sun Jun 12 16:22:47 UTC 2016

Alan Burlison wrote:
> A while ago I wrote some code to expand place notation to
> the corresponding blue line numbers. One thing that I did
> to make my life easier was to describe the difference between
> two rows as deltas.

> I haven't seen changes described this way anywhere else which
> puzzles me a bit, because to me it's the blindingly obvious way
> of doing it, rather than the position-based notation I've seen
> used elsewhere.

This technique is used in my Method Master program which I first developed
in 1996. I found it a quick and simple way of transposing between rows, and
drawing blue lines. It was also useful working out the method statistics,
etc.

The program was first developed in VB and I found that the time taken to set
up a delta array for a lead was more than compensated by the speed gain in
generating rows and drawing lines. I believe this is still true although the
program was completely rewritten in Delphi (object Pascal).

Chris Adams