[r-t] Long lengths of Bristol Surprise Major

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Fri Mar 18 12:08:36 UTC 2016

Mark Davies wrote:

> Fabulous achievement, Andrew. Is this close to the practical limit for the
> method, do you think?

Sadly it's one of those questions where gut instinct is all
we've got.  I'm not even aware of a valid theoretical basis
to use to get an upper bound on the longest possible touch
of a method.

I recall Rod Pipe telling me that he and Peter Border
believed the longest length should be a nice, round fraction
of the extent.  I forget the forget the value Rod suggested;
possibly it was 2/3 (i.e. 26800).  But whatever it was, it
was ruled out before Andrew's most recent contribution,
which now rules out 3/4 (i.e. 30240).

Whilst I'd like to believe the longest possible length is a
round number, I don't actually think it's likely to be the
case.

RAS