[r-t] ?CCBR meeting - Methcom proposals

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Mon May 30 23:04:59 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 6:14 PM, Ted Steele <bells at tedsteele.plus.com>
wrote:
> I think it would clearly be better to invite the original bands to
> nominate a revised name and there must already be a mechanism for
> doing this.

There is indeed such a mechanism. Decision (E)D.4. reserves to the council
the ability to change a method's name whenever the council "considers it
necessary". I'm confident that if some appropriate committee did the leg
work of contacting the relevant bands and soliciting their opinions, and
presenting a collection of proposed name changes matching the bands'
choices to next year's meeting, with the committee's recommendation that
such changes be made, the council would happily rubber stamp them. Rather a
shame that it takes a year to get it done, but if it didn't move slowly we
wouldn't call it the Central Council, would we?

"Actors," said Granny, witheringly. "As if the world
weren't full of enough history without inventing more."
                        -- Terry Pratchett, _Wyrd Sisters_