[r-t] CCCBR meeting

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Tue May 31 07:42:22 UTC 2016

Philip writes,

> MBD et al - you've got a lot to address and I wish you well.  There has been
> a huge amount of open, collaborative development of a more appropriate
> descriptive framework on the ringing-theory sub-group, and I urge you to
> make use of this going forwards.

Thanks Philip. Yes, I'm hoping we can do something like this. However, I
think the way forward will be easier once the methods committee have
direct ownership of the method libraries.

So this is my first task. I want a new methods website with shiny new
features and webservices, hosted centrally, i.e. not under the control
of one person. I want to design it so that different protocols for
method classification and extension can be plugged in; it should be
possible to say "what did methods look like with the classification
rules in force in 1967?" and "what do methods look like with this new
classification protocol I've just invented"?

Of course there ought to be the standard lookup features, including some
convenient RESTful webservices for apps to use. I'd like to populate the
database automatically from the incoming Bellboard feed. One of the
other methods committee guys was saying, wouldn't it be cool if we could
do some visualisations, like live mapping of the geographical
distribution of where new methods are rung?

However, I don't think we can do this on our own, because there's a fair
bit of work involved, so we will need help from the wider technical
ringing community. I think it should be a lot of fun, though!

MBD

---